The Republican Party, some of the more obviously paid-for Democrats and many major corporations claim that industry regulations are inhibiting job growth and that these regulations are hurting our economy. They want government regulations to be dramatically reduced.
Some even call for the elimination of the Environmental Protection Agency altogether. They claim that the free market will police itself.
Fortunately for us, there is already a working example of how non-regulation and pure market forces works. It’s called China.
Take a look at this video and then ask yourself, “Is this really the kind of world that I want to live in? Are corporate profits this valuable to me?”
China is what you get when profits are put before people.
My name is Patrick Meighan, and I’m a husband, a father, a writer on the Fox animated sitcom “Family Guy”, and a member of the Unitarian Universalist Community Church of Santa Monica.
I was arrested at about 1 a.m. Wednesday morning with 291 other people at Occupy LA. I was sitting in City Hall Park with a pillow, a blanket, and a copy of Thich Nhat Hanh’s “Being Peace” when 1,400 heavily-armed LAPD officers in paramilitary SWAT gear streamed in. I was in a group of about 50 peaceful protestors who sat Indian-style, arms interlocked, around a tent (the symbolic image of the Occupy movement). The LAPD officers encircled us, weapons drawn, while we chanted “We Are Peaceful” and “We Are Nonviolent” and “Join Us.”
A Congressman collects a salary while in office and receives no pay when they are out of office.
2. Congress (past, present & future) participates in SocialSecurity.
All funds in the Congressional retirement fund move to the Social Security system immediately. All future funds flow into the Social Security system, and Congress participates with the American people. It may not be used for any other purpose.
3. Congress can purchase their own retirement plan, just as allAmericans do.
4. Congress will no longer vote themselves a pay raise.
Congressional pay will rise by the lower of CPI or 3%.
5. Congress loses their current health care system andparticipates in the same health care system as the American people.
6. Congress must equally abide by all laws they impose on theAmerican people.
7. All contracts with past and present Congressmen are voideffective 1/1/12. The American people did not make this contract with Congressmen.
Congressmen made all these contracts for themselves. Serving in Congress is an honor, not a career. The Founding Fathers envisioned citizen legislators, so ours should serve their term(s), then go home and back to work.